The Harris Midway Fund provides financial support for students who have secured an unpaid summer internship in the public or non-profit sector. Harris students, including international students in lawful F-1 or J-1 status sponsored by the University of Chicago, must be all of the following to apply:
- Currently enrolled (and taking classes) in a Master's Degree program at Harris
- In good academic standing at Harris with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Confirmed to work in an unpaid, degree relevant full-time (35+ hrs/wk) summer internship for at least 8 weeks between June 2017 and October 2017
- The internship must be relevant to ongoing coursework and provide professional work experience.
- The internship offer must be secured (and verified) at the time of application.
- Only summer internship positions are eligible.
- Positions must be a minimum of 8 weeks in duration.
The Midway Fund is not open to:
- Students graduating before or in June 2017
- Students who have not yet matriculated into Harris
- Students receiving compensation for any Summer 2017 internship
The application process consists of the following four parts to be submitted via HarrisLink (ID# 23554):
- Submission of a professional resume
- Submission of a statement of purpose that outlines your interest in the position and how you anticipate it furthering your career pursuits
- Copy of Internship Offer Letter
- Student Verification Form
A selection committee consisting of Academic and Student Affairs senior leadership will review student applications.
Deadlines - Late materials will not be accepted.
- Priority Application Deadline: April 28, 2017 by 11:59 PM
- Award Announcements: No later than the week of May 15th
- Late Application Deadline (Funding may be limited): May 26, 2017 by 11:59PM
- Award Announcements: No later than the week of June 5th
- Internship stipends are processed on the university payroll schedule. Student checks may not be available prior to the end of the spring quarter.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Harris Midway Fund is processed as a financial aid stipend and thus, can have an impact on recipients’ summer financial aid package. Students who intend to take summer classes and apply for summer financial aid (including loans) must note this in their application.
Internship Reflection Requirement
- All students who are awarded a stipend through the Harris Midway Fund are required to submit a brief reflection on their internship experience.
- Reflection should follow “Harris Summer Fund Report Guidelines" and is to be submitted via HarrisLink (#TBD) by October 13, 2017 at 11:59 PM
- Your reflection may be shared, in part or in full, with alumni, fellow students, and the Harris community. It may also be used, in part or in full, in Harris and/or university publications or website.