CDO has developed numerous Career Development Guides and hosted workshops for Chicago Harris students covering a wide range of topics, including resume and cover letter writing, industry research, interviewing, networking, and salary negotiation. Review the following resources for useful tips about making the most of your time at Harris and your work experience to achieve your career goals!
Review Career Development Guides
Begin Planning for the Next Step in Your Career
Explore Career Paths and Expand Your Network
Refine Your Resume and Strengthen Your Cover Letters
Navigate the Interview Process and Negotiate an Offer
Hone Your Skills by Participating in Career Development Workshops
A variety of workshops are hosted annually. For upcoming workshops, stay up to date with "Special Events" in HarrisLink. Past sessions have included:
- Winning Resumes - Helps students develop professional, attractive, targeted, and strategic resumes.
- Effective Cover Letters - Teaches the art of crafting effective cover letters that help students stand out in the marketplace.
- Harrislink Overview and Refresher - Teaches students how to get the most from HarrisLink, our online jobs, internships, and employer information database.
- Career Action Plan - Offers students support for charting their career paths and using CDO resources.
- Internships 411 - Provides strategies for identifying and obtaining appropriate and meaningful internships.
- Professional Networking - Workshops and events throughout the year reinforce the importance of networking. From an interclass networking event during orientation to employer receptions, students receive tips and strategies to make the most of each opportunity.
- Interviewing Skills - Interactive sessions help students work together to overcome challenges in focused workshops, including Case Interviewing.
- Job Offer and Salary Negotiations - Gives students resources and tools to address common concerns and become successful negotiators.
- Navigating Employment with an F-1 or J-1 Visa - Gives overview of the requirements and timelines for international students interested in working while in the United States.